Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Belly Itcher

From the mind of a 9-year-old…

“Okay, so here I am at second base. I’m hot. Our orange shirts match the dirt. Look at those funny little holes my cleats make. If I just move my foot back and forth, back and forth… well, look at that! It’s like a rainbow. Wow! Uh-oh, Coach just yelled at me to stop drawing with my shoe. I better look up… shoot, that scary girl is at bat. Hit it to me! I’m ready!”

Twenty years later…

“Okay, so here I am at third. God, my quads are killing me. My back too. Which reminds me, I forgot to call my PCP today for that referral. Oh, there’s a big rock in the dirt. Let me pick that up and throw it to the side. Someone could really get hurt out here. I hope I don’t trip and skin my knee. That will look terrible when I’m in my meeting tomorrow. Oh sh**, that big guy is at bat. Oh, don’t hit it at me. I don’t think I can move.”

Cheers from a 9-year-old's bench…

“We want a pitcher, not a belly itcher!”

“Hey, batta-batta…suhhhhh-wing… batta-batta!”

“I see a hole out there! I see a hole out there! I see an H-O-L-E HOLE out there!”

Twenty years later…

“Don’t pull something!”

“You hit this, I’ll never ask you for another TPS report!”

“Only a few more outs and then we can go get beers!”

A 9-year-old after the game…

“When’s our next game, Coach? Huh? Huh?”

Twenty years later…

“Whew… thank God I have a week to recover before we play again. Where’s my Advil?”

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A 9-year-old:
after hitting a home run, can run around all the bases, and still have plenty of energy to run around celebrating...

20 years later:
pauses slightly in the batter-on-deck area to finish catching her breath before returning to the bench...

Anonymous said...

9 year-old:

"Sweet mom brought orange slices"

20 years later:

"I am so glad the boys brought cold beer"