Sunday, October 28, 2007

Red Sox Family

I’m not going to write about the Red Sox. No stars, no scores, no hyperbole. There are already a million words out there describing every facet of their game. They don’t need me to add to the mix. But I do want to write about being a Red Sox fan.

As I was just walking back from Starbucks in my Red Sox sweatshirt, a woman stopped me and said, “Excuse me, can you tell me what happened in the game last night?” There was an eagerness in her eyes as I told her what had unfolded in Colorado. When I was done, she graciously thanked me and went on her way.

Yesterday there was a grizzled old man who passed by me in the check-out line. I was wearing one of my many Red Sox t-shirts, and as he walked by me, he said, “Nice shirt.” I turned to see who had made the comment, and as he continued to another register, I recognized the Boston cap on his head.

I was on my way home with the very groceries I had just purchased when my neighbor pointed out my shirt. We’ve never spoken before, but he asked me what I thought about the Ortiz-Youkilis-Lowell conundrum in a National League park. We may never speak again, but we had that moment.

And how about the boyfriend decked out in Sox gear who walked out of the Kelly Clarkson concert on the arm of his girlfriend. I too was wearing my gear, and we gave each other a simple nod of the head and said, “Go Sox.”

Then there are those who don’t care quite so much about the game, but love the people who do. My Mom has grown to love baseball because of me, but even she has her limits sometimes. Nevertheless, she told me that 30 minutes after she had decided to call it an evening, she asked my Dad to get up and check the score to see what was going on. She’s becoming a full-fledged Sox junkie!

There’s our "work mom,” the one who watches out for all of us from 9-5 every day. She text messages me after almost every game and is as superstitious as I am about what to do, wear, and say when watching the Sox.

Even my best friend, the Yankee fan, who will audibly express how much she loathes the Red Sox every chance she gets, respects my devotion and is the one responsible for giving me the Beckett jersey I treasure so dearly.

And of course, there's Izzie, Dusty, Meaks, Nuwanda, Sully, and Karch... those who have gathered with me at our local watering holes, at Fenway, at Camden, all to watch the Sox together. Plus Kino, Chase, Bay, and Expo who may not love the Sox, but love baseball enough to watch the Sox with us.

Red Sox Nation is not a cadre of obnoxious fans seeking to run roughshod over every other team. It’s a family… a family of fans and a family of those who love the fans.

I’m proud of the Red Sox. I’m excited about the season they’ve given us. But most of all I’m thankful for the memories my Red Sox family and I have had over the past six months. It’s been a ride to remember.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sports fans are in a club of our own. Regardless of who we root for, we share the same passion for a sport, a team and the identity that goes along with being a fan. And as a Yankee fan, I am convinced that Yankee/Red Sox fans have a different (dare I say better) appreciation for baseball because of our famous rivalry. But I do not agree that all Sox fans are one big happy family. Just as it is dangerous to sit in the South stands of Yankee stadium and root for the other team, it is also dangerous to come into contact with many Red Sox fans who for a lifetime defined themselves as underappreciated, underdogs who projected a malicious sense of superiority despite a pathetic 80 year gap between championship titles. Now that they have gained the status they so desparately sought they are calmer but lets not mistake love between fans of the same team as all around great fans. It was a Red Sox fan who threw beer on a 12 year old girl at Yankee stadium after their team lost and it was a Red Sox bar owner who tried to kick me out of his establishment for simply wearing a Yankee hat. I have no doubt there are similar stories the Sox fans can point to as well.

I love the rivalry and infinitely enjoy the game more because of the tension between our teams but lets call a spade a spade.