Wednesday, May 2, 2007

The Pink Hat Challenge

I received an email from a reader that said: “I'd like to point out on the pink hat issue: when they first started coming out, they were the only hats made to fit small-sized heads. Hence, I own a pink Bosox hat. It was the only hat that didn't make me look like I had a goiter growing out of my forehead.”

Touché.

We all remember the days when baseball caps made you look like you stuck a Burger King crown underneath that hot, picky, sweat-inducing fabric. The button in the center looked like the bow on a present and the brim looked like the landing strip on an aircraft carrier. Those hats could possibly have been the most unattractive pieces of apparel one could wear to the ballpark... for both men and women. Finding a substitute could be difficult, but with the advent of the soft, floppy cap, we’ve entered a new realm of fashion-forwardness. The days of the boxy ballcap are over, and we can now choose from an array of head-hugging alternatives.

So I commend this reader for buying a cap in the first place, support her reasons for buying one that fits, and admire her admission that a pink hat hangs in her closet, but I still beg her to go traditional.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

unfortunately, those of us with small heads still have to look around to find a hat that fits correctly...

hmm... now that makers are branching out, I wonder if a large child's hat may fit my diminutive noggin...

Anonymous said...

In my additional defense, I also own a soft floppy non pink Wrigley Field cap and a Notre Dame cap. The pink Bosox, at the time, was the only one available, as I too despise pink.

Lori said...

Yeah, those pink hats are yucky. There are also the purple ones that are just as nasty. For the longest time, I did not have a Red Sox hat, but in 2004, I finally purchased a fitted cap (the exact one pictured in your post-not the boxy one) when I went to Fenway Park and took the tour. What an amazing experience! Walking on the field, sitting in the dugout, and touching the Green Monster was so incredible. I would definitely recommend going. So, yeah, now I have a hat to support my team of choice: The Boston Red Sox.